|View printer-friendly version|
Leading Innovators in Video Display, Delivery and Entertainment Partner to Launch FlexVU™ for Best-in-Class Cord Cutting Solutions
As some of the leading innovators in content delivery and video quality, each of the partners behind the FlexVU initiative contributes unique offerings that collectively encompass products, services and ecosystem solutions. Together, these forward-thinking companies have defined the key elements required to deliver a best-in-class experience for consumers seeking to “cut the cord”. FlexVU’s objective is to promote increased awareness as well as empower consumers with the knowledge and confidence to consume video content on their own terms. More specifically, this collaboration endeavors to both simplify and enhance the over-the-air (OTA) and over-the-top (OTT) video experience for consumers, while also advancing the broader ecosystem under a newly recognized and industry-supported brand.
“Consumers have been cutting the cord from their cable and satellite providers with increasing frequency over the past several years and that phenomenon is likely to accelerate,” said
FlexVU establishes the following key principals and distinguishing features for an optimized video entertainment experience:
- ANTENNA: a single high-quality TV antenna delivers the best performance and reliability at an affordable price. These antennas are available for use in the home, office and recreational applications -- and many of which can be easily installed either on or near a window.
- TV TUNER: allows HD broadcast television signals to be received for both real-time viewing as well as for the recording of television content on various storage devices and solutions. Devices with a single TV tuner allow a consumer to watch a single OTA program; however, many FlexVU solutions incorporate more than one TV tuner to allow multiple different channels to be viewed at the same time and on different devices.
- TRANSCODER: optimizes over-the-air (OTA) video for seamless delivery to popular media devices. As a key element incorporated into FlexVU solutions, the transcoder compresses the video so it can be efficiently transmitted and viewed inside the home (or anywhere in the world) without sacrificing video quality. Transcoding also extends the battery life of mobile devices by utilizing less data than is required by non-transcoded video.
- SOFTWARE: provides critical user interfaces that are intuitive and easy to view on any device, and includes the integration of OTA channels into a familiar, linear guide for seamless browsing of local broadcast TV alongside other media content. In some cases, local OTA channels can be combined with popular OTT streaming services in a single application, preventing the need to frequently alternate between video inputs.
- DVR: enables real-time capture and pre-scheduled recording of OTA television content using either a local storage device (USB drive) or cloud-based storage solution. DVR support is one of the most important requirements for consumers that cut the cord, and because FlexVU solutions are equipped with transcoder technology these recorded programs can be watched on nearly any connected TV or display device, both inside or outside the home.
To assist consumers with making the optimal decision on what cord cutter products to consider and choose, the FlexVU consortium has created a dedicated Web site, www.flexvu.tv. This informational portal provides educational guidance on the key technology components detailed above and also includes specific product and component recommendations, testimonial videos from FlexVU partners and useful links to tools, such as a Channel Finder to help consumers determine what local TV channels can be access based on their zip code. In addition, the FlexVU Web site has a helpful animation that provides an easy to understand overview of the key benefits and messages of the FlexVU initiative.
Consumers are encouraged to visit www.flexvu.tv for updates on new product and offerings, helpful news stories regarding FlexVU-compliant products and links to the respective FlexVU partners.
FlexVU is a technology branding initiative formed by a coalition of prominent companies committed to producing the best-in-class products, services and solutions for video entertainment. Each partner contributes unique technology expertise in areas such as content services, TV tuners, transcoders, software, antennas and digital video recording. Taken together, the FlexVU partners consist of the market leaders in the respective areas of video display, delivery and entertainment content. For more information, please visit the FlexVU website at www.flexvu.tv. Media inquiries can be direct to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Pixelworks, Inc.